Thursday, September 29, 2016

Broken Ribs, St. George, Utah, 29 September 2016

I held my breath. I stayed behind a desk.
I did not offer anyone the information that would give me away.
When the morning brought a little rain,
I did not turn my head to my window,
Much less walk back out to my parked car
To roll up its windows. Let it get wet. In the afternoon
I attempted to make my methodical departure
Look less like strain, pain, or incapacity,
More like solemn dignity. I waited a long while
Near a green shade on a patch of gravel,
Considering what advice I would give
To myself thus immobilized and sipping
Small sips of warm air with the sun on my neck.
Take a breath. Not too deep. Not too shallow. Take a breath.
Everything we know comes true, the way we go.
Everything we know true comes true, and away we go.
I eased into my seatbelt, winced, and drove slowly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment