Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Babylon Inquisitive, Saint George, Utah, 12 September 2018

The light changes fastest around each equinox
And slowest around the solstices. This may not
Be a fact, but that’s the way it seems to someone
Reasonably attentive. Excuse me, could you
Please point me to the religious equivalent
Of an honest polyglot? I’m fluent in a few, but I need
Someone to translate the rarer beliefs for me.
The snarling red pickup truck with its anti-muffler
Pretends to eat the evening by merely accelerating
To just above the legal limit down suburban roads.
Whaddya think of that? The same old thing.
I’ve quoted it for decades. I am not I. Pity
The tale of me. Every quotation adds a tree ring.
How fat I’m getting, the less I’m me. The thin
Must come haphazardly. If you aim to cheat
The Devil, you owe him an offering. And you best
Get it to him soon. If he can’t tell, it won’t matter.
And this isn’t now. And then isn’t then. Now, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment