Friday, November 4, 2016

Long Dragon, Utah, 3 November 2016

A day said to itself, I am an I, I am a day, I shall consider the day:
To my left a continuous line of scalloped, reddish sandstone ridges
Proceeded in a ring that extended under the highway to my right
And did not end until well past the morning vicinity I tend to call home.
I imagined, in my arch and serene blue self with all the time in the world,
Oblivious to the clouds skirting my horizon and nodding like lambs politely,
I could recognize the entire edge of eroding earth below me as the curled tail
Of a dragon I'd long since conquered, although it had no more head nor torso.
So I straddled it a while, confident but a little blue above my vanquished world,
Like a bird, puzzled, still hungry after getting only the lizard's detachable tail,
Until I began to slip and fall, embarrassed, into the west, as I saw it, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment