Tuesday, November 8, 2016

To the Right of the White Election, Desert Highway, Utah, 8 November 2016

Love without talk, desires, or lies, mute my kisses, mute my sighs.
Why should we accept that consequences have causes
Can only kill us? Faith, finally, is only the refusal
To take the truth at face value. Decades ago, I cracked and shed
The carapace of particular beliefs that jacketed my childhood,
But faith, foolish faith, has been trickier to leave.
I want to laugh at the weirdly wonderful ways this world uses
To be cruel. I want to scoff, hope, disbelieve, not take seriously
The threats that reality levels at me, itself, and everything.
Silly Cosmos! You can't possibly be so dark. That's no way to be.
On an improbably fine morning bent on destroying the foolish
Things I had done in defiance of any good sense other than the sweet
Reluctance to accept what I'd always known to have to be, I refused
Again to abandon my persistent, solemn faith. I refused to concede.

No comments:

Post a Comment