Sunday, September 24, 2017

Owl Creek Bridge, Utah, 24 September 2017

Some part of Farquhar actually knew,
But that didn't stop the delusion. He swam
And he thought to himself, I couldn't
Help myself, I had to keep thinking through
The drop. As long as I was falling, I believed
In the possibility of escape more than in
The possibility of nothing having ever been
Because as long as I was falling, I was,
And things had quite obviously been. Now,
I just need to survive until I get to shore.
Then I'm sure I can find my way home. Then
Things will just carry on, and why not?
Haven't they always carried on? Haven't I
Always been around, for as long as I can
Remember? Being is the way life is,
And things die or disappear, but every time
I check, I'm still here. There's no darkness
And silence at the end. I'm still here.
Those are the things he thought as he swam
Or fell, or whatever it was he was being
When he wasn't being dead just yet. No one
Is dead, he thought as he reached the trees,
No one is ever dead, only death's witness
From the outside. So why my urgency?

No comments:

Post a Comment