Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Nostalgia, Utah, 18 April 2017

Here's the deal, as best I can remember it,
Best I can defend it. The first time I heard
Warren I was a hopelessly marginal, liminal,
Disabled scholarship boy at an evangelical
Boarding school where wealth in God's name
Was the primary currency and piety close
Secondary. I couldn't tell you even now
Whether he was really any good or not, but
When he sang oddities like "Excitable Boy"
Or "Werewolves of London," I felt him telling
Truths about the comic sickness only he
And listeners like me could see. I forgot
About him mostly in the decades following,
But when I read that he was dying, I bought
His last recordings as if they might comfort
Me. Quarter-century on, it was his cover
Songs more interested me. I could not,
Cannot yet let go of the sentimentality
Coming over me when playing his reedy
Dying voice singing darkness coming
Down on me. On him, on me, empty, empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment