Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Any Hermit Is a Monastery in the Utah Desert, 23 April 2019

We have only to suffer, not to fear. After all
That loss and ruin, I can see through my death.
We can’t enlighten ourselves out of suffering,
Not and continue, in any way, existing,
Sorry Bud, but we can perhaps transcend fear,
And wouldn’t that be something? I used to think
Reasonably well, but still thought my bravery
Would be in vanquishing the one great fear
To flee all the others. And I was not afraid
Of the great fear as I slipped into the fearfully cold
Water at dawn. But still I was managing
A cloud of little fears like random snowflakes
In the mountain air. I tried to compose my dying
Just so, there, and so did not die at all there,
All the little fears remaining. We can’t avoid
Our suffering, but can we not fear our suffering?
Can we embrace that as we are aware we suffer
And as we cease to suffer we were never there?
White-haired guest of many lakes and rivers,
I open my blinds to the morning to sit alert.

No comments:

Post a Comment