Saturday, February 17, 2018

Indoor Sunlight, Salt Lake City, 17 February 2018

Each afternoon for months now, the angle
Has moved from the south further west.
The straight west window almost frames
The last fire of sunset now. I squint at the blinds
Half drawn down one window, the texture
Of their fabric, the small details of the weave
Glowing at half past three. There’s a thing
About this universe I understand intuitively.
Whether or not I understand it correctly, it
Feels dead right to me: the texture whispers
Vastness, the literally unfathomable expanse
Of small and smaller movements embedded
In large and larger moments. It’s dizzying, yet
Also somehow boring. Sometimes I suspect,
When watching dust motes twirl slowly
Through indoor, sunlit air, what I’m studying is
The infinitely thick perimeter of an unassailable
Prison of existence. No, I don’t mean living,
Being aware of being—from those, there is
Inevitable escape. But from existing, being
Any sort of pattern of atoms and twisted
Gravitational shapes? What kind of cosmos
Spawns a creature capable of such considering,
A temporary creature can catch itself at it,
Perhaps compelled to consider its cosmos
A hoax? The houseplants turn so slowly, I only
Notice monthly how they have followed the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment